collapse

* Who's Online

7 Guests, 0 Users
Users active in past minutes:

Most Online Today: 29. Most Online Ever: 198 (November 05, 2019, 12:34:26 AM)

* Recent Posts

SW Ep6 Roll20 Logs
►Last Post by phinneas
January 12, 2021, 09:59:18 PM

Animal Talk
►Last Post by Doctor Catriona Wicker
April 29, 2019, 10:39:18 PM

Roll20 Session Logs
►Last Post by phinneas
April 08, 2019, 09:37:05 AM

Getting the band back together
March 06, 2019, 01:14:45 AM

Alone in the Dark
February 20, 2019, 01:56:30 PM

Absences & Scheduling Issues
►Last Post by Euron Sand
November 16, 2018, 03:24:25 PM

The Forgotten
►Last Post by Levinath
November 01, 2018, 12:13:41 AM

Kara-Tur Adventures
October 17, 2018, 03:44:23 PM

Jinharath
►Last Post by Jinharath
October 11, 2018, 11:49:17 AM

Trolling
►Last Post by Jonias Siannodel
October 05, 2018, 11:16:22 PM

Cats and Wolves (Post Ses 27)

• 12 Replies
Description:

Wolfe

• Death. Honor. Hangovers.
Cats and Wolves (Post Ses 27)
« on: February 25, 2018, 06:04:16 PM »
Wolfe had, of course wanted to come along during Cat's shopping trip. The carriage caught his interest, mostly because it meant that they wouldn't have to ride horses the whole way. Then again, they'd be in tighter quarters during such trips and given how much Zimran and Westra had gotten on his nerves it might not be the best idea.

Still... Cat wasn't one for something mundane. She'd made it sound like something fairly exciting, actually.

"You ever seen a Werewolf? Read about them?" Wolfe asked the scientist who had seemed quite excited about the prospect of running into some lycanthropes.

Doctor Catriona Wicker

• "Tarnation!!"
  • For Lantan.
Re: Cats and Wolves (Post Ses 27)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 11:47:28 AM »
The amberlit sky held a sun low, soon to disappear into the clouds and beyond the spires and architecture of the city.  Already guardsmen were beginning their rounds to tend to street lamps in anticipation of the coming evening; shops were beginning to close down and more of the citizenry were moving to the pubs.  Maybe Nundro could run into someone fun to chat with and make him forget his troubles for the night… he definitely deserved it.

Catriona was absent her mechanical companions and pack;  the horses and gear went with Westra to her estate and LEROY was the perpetual custodian of their property, so it went along too.  The doctor had given the gnomebot instructions to follow Westra’s commands as a sub-administrator… or something.

Wolfe seemed keen to see the carriage she eyed on the way to the tavern earlier.  With an understanding that the owner would likely turn in for the night, the bosomy scientist moved with a briskness along the cobblestone streets of Neverwinter, a handful of blocks away.  They could see the storage vehicle yard about ten minutes ahead, the name of the business clearly displayed:

“Put Me In Coach!”
Inscrutable Transportation

Fiddling with some of the rings on her fingers as they made their way, she glanced to the side of the taller half-orc.  “No.. well.. Yes, I’ve read about them but only because we study the heavens extensively.  The moon is particularly of interest, especially if it can catalyze a substantial transformation of a being into another kind of being.  It may be a disease, too, which would be even MORE interesting.”  Her tone seemed to increase with enthusiasm again at the promise of wild discovery.

“I mean, we should be careful and all… but lots to learn...” Beat.  “And helping Captain Goldbrook’s brother, of course.”  Catriona was not a bad person; but it was obvious that she was more interested in one aspect of this journey than the other… it wasn't her fault!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:57:06 AM by Doctor Catriona Wicker »

Levinath

• If it works, I can break it.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 01:14:23 PM »

“Check out the lovely couple. Does the Captain know about this you sly dog?” The familiar voice came from a dark side of a merchant’s shop as Wolfe and Cat approached the carriages. Eston stepped into the twilight, his hooded face covered. Though the two did not notice before, somehow the entire street seemed barren as the last vestiges of the sun set. If they did not know better, it would appear they walked the streets late into the night.

The white teeth shone from darkness. “Glad to hear the scroll did as promised. I was told you all arrived earlier today and met with Neveremeber. Where are you headed next?”

Wolfe

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 03:34:14 PM »
"It ain't a disease." Wolfe said with dry certainty at Catriona's musings about Lycanthropy. The Half-Orc seemed grim about the topic, something seeming to be distracting him and putting him not so much as a bad mood, but something reserved and focused on his own thoughts. He nodded at the idea of them being careful, as well as doing this whole thing to help Westra's brother, but it was clear he didn't seem to hold it against her that she was more interested in the topic of Werewolves than Goldbrook-saving.

Eston's arrival drew his gaze and his ire. His eyes narrowed at the shadowy man, he couldn't see his smile beneath the hood, which was good because otherwise he would have been tempted to punch out a few of his teeth.

"We're going to a little village called WhatTheFuckDoYouWant. It's really nice this time of year." The burly Half-Orc notably moved into a position where he was between Eston and Cat, acting as a bodyguard to the buxom mystic. Though with those gauntlets of hers, she was probably able to take care of herself.

Doctor Catriona Wicker

• "Tarnation!!"
  • For Lantan.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 04:43:01 PM »
It could be that they had different definitions of disease, though she had heard the stance that lycanthropy was a curse of some sort as well.  Perhaps it was a matter of semantics?  “You believe its a curse?  It could be both... This is why study is required.”  she remarks, continuing to fidget with her rings.

“If it is contagious as rumors say, it would be interesting to find out why...”  Some could say she was foolish at having so little tangible fear and apprehension about dealing with such dark and dangerous subjects.  Still, she had typically proven resilient in the face of such things, though oddly more likely to be startled by a sneeze than a monstorus beast…

Speaking of..

“AH!” she exclaims, and spins towards the voice.

Seeing the, somewhat familiar man from the woods that had the negotiations with Wolfe, she looks around for his friend, the bush-hider fella.  There weren’t bushes around so that guy might have stayed home this time.  Adjusting her glasses, she does a vigilant scan of their immediate surrounding.

Wolfe’s answer to Ware’s query took a second to land with Cat.  What could she add to that?

“It’s… a small rural hamlet that uh... overlooks... NoneOfYourBeeswax Lake.”  She tries, doing about as well as one would imagine.  Awkward gumption matters though, they say.

Levinath

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 05:13:05 PM »

He chuckled from under the hood at Cat’s outburst. “What a feisty pair of love birds. I can let you two get back to your date in a moment.” He walked closer to Wolfe, seemingly disinterested in the half-orc’s display of dominance. “I was only stopping buy to place the order for my first repayment.” He walked past Wolfe and gave Cat a smile before reaching for Wolfe’s katana slowly with an outstretched finger. “Better get that blade silvered buddy, you are going to need it.”

He looked back over to the blonde and waited a beat. “I want you to catch me one.” The notion seemed so absurd, it took them both a moment to realize what the man was asking of the group.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 05:15:54 PM by Levinath »

Wolfe

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 05:29:49 PM »
Wolfe considered the little shit in front of him for a moment. It would probably not be hard to beat his smile right off of his face. Even if he had backup, Wolfe felt confident in handling himself in a fight. But it would put Cat in danger, and he had agreed to do as the man had said. Anything else would be dishonorable.

The Half-Orc considered it.
"Alive or dead?" He asked, seeming to entertain the idea of following through with the task.

Levinath

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 05:33:45 PM »
The man's laugh bellowed down the empty street. "What purpose would a dead werewolf serve my dear friend?" He circled back around to the front of Wolfe. "Live ones are so much more...profitable."

Doctor Catriona Wicker

• "Tarnation!!"
  • For Lantan.
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 05:52:46 PM »
A look of befuddlement played upon and rather remained on the youthful features of th doctor as Ware made odd statements.  “That’s not.. Why are you mainlanders so … obsessed with mating innuendo..” It was truly bizarre how this was apparently the norm around these parts.  Usually, she heard that kind of thing from Wolfe in regards to Westra (and it made little sense to her in those instances too).  It wasn’t lost on her that maybe Ware and Wolfe had some kind of repertoire she couldn’t quite grasp.

Tucking some white-blonde hair behind an ear, she rolled her eyes at the man’s request.  What could this stranger want with some lycanthrope?  Someone should really look into why this bozo was spying on them.

Arms crossed over her chest, she just wanted to go back to her business.  While she was witness, Catriona didn’t believe she owed this Eston Ware anything and let Wolfe deal with the man.  Were she not considering the half-orc’s well-being, she probably would have peaced-out and went to look at carriages without creepy stalkers bugging her.  But said half-orc tended to get himself into trouble;  no sense in letting him get beat on on by probably a bunch of hidden assailants...

"Why would you sell a lycanthrope? They are sapient people... are you some kind of slaver?"
asked the spectacled woman, ponderous of what market there is for such a thing and if that was common here on the Sword Coast.

Wolfe

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 06:27:38 PM »
"Girl's got a point, Eston. Can't see that ending well for you." The Half-Orc said slowly, seeming to try and gauge what the crime lord was up to. "What's your angle on this?"

Levinath

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 07:35:15 PM »

The man shrugged. “Business is business. I can promise you have no intentions of selling such a fine beast, but my clients depend on me to deliver that which others cannot.” He turned to walk down the empty street. “Send word when you are on your way back into town with it and my people will meet you outside the city. I wouldn’t want you upstanding citizens to be charged with doing anything unsavory." Beat. "You kids stay out of trouble.” Eston began walking casually away from the pair, whistling a merry tune.

Doctor Catriona Wicker

• "Tarnation!!"
  • For Lantan.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 09:21:22 PM »
Her lips formed a line in silence as Ware said his final piece and departed.

Awkward silence.

"I am not sure if I am supposed to say something." she finally said, looking back to wards the carriage yard.

"Is that man going to be an obstacle?  Maybe we can still pay him of money so he can move on?  This kind of open ended transaction can't be legitimate."  She wasn't particularly versed in crime bosses and the underworld politics, nor what kind ramifications could come from messing with this Ware character. 

"He did provide us a service, but shouldn't our restitution be ...umm...  in similar kind?" She started to inch towards their initial trajectory.  "I don't like this unknown... unbalanced equations... not ideal."

Wolfe

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 03:26:01 PM »
Wolfe watched Eston walk away with a stoic calm. He wasn't rattled by the man's appearance or his task that he wanted for repayment. Cat spoke up after the awkward silence and brought up some good questions and an even better suggestion. "Yeah. He had wanted those gems. Would be funny if we gave them to him and he got cursed by them too. Get a treasure he could never spend." A slow, mischevious smile spread behind his beard around his tusks at the idea.

The Half Orc turned his attention back to Cat, his smile fading.
"But it wouldn't be right. Yeah, he's a scummy guy but he helped bring Westra back when no-one else could. I'm willing to play this out to a point. If the Werewolves are all monsters, then handing one to him doesn't hurt my conscience. If they're not and they're just misguided or cursed, then I won't play along with his bullshit.

He's going to try to get the most out of this as he can. That's what all dishonorable scumsuckers do. But he could be handy to us too. You never know when it's good to have someone who can procure shit normal, upstanding people can't."

The Half-Orc shrugged and placed a gently hand on Cat's shoulder as he stepped to her side. "No matter what, we'll figure it out together. You have my word on that."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal