collapse

* Who's Online

15 Guests, 0 Users
Users active in past minutes:

Most Online Today: 28. Most Online Ever: 198 (November 05, 2019, 12:34:26 AM)

* Recent Posts

SW Ep6 Roll20 Logs
►Last Post by phinneas
January 12, 2021, 09:59:18 PM

Animal Talk
►Last Post by Doctor Catriona Wicker
April 29, 2019, 10:39:18 PM

Roll20 Session Logs
►Last Post by phinneas
April 08, 2019, 09:37:05 AM

Getting the band back together
March 06, 2019, 01:14:45 AM

Alone in the Dark
February 20, 2019, 01:56:30 PM

Absences & Scheduling Issues
►Last Post by Euron Sand
November 16, 2018, 03:24:25 PM

The Forgotten
►Last Post by Levinath
November 01, 2018, 12:13:41 AM

Kara-Tur Adventures
October 17, 2018, 03:44:23 PM

Jinharath
►Last Post by Jinharath
October 11, 2018, 11:49:17 AM

Trolling
►Last Post by Jonias Siannodel
October 05, 2018, 11:16:22 PM

The King is Dead, Long Live the Watch (Post-Session 15)

• 6 Replies
Description:

Raithe

• Money. Survival. Honor...is a cute notion.
The King is Dead, Long Live the Watch (Post-Session 15)
« on: October 26, 2017, 11:41:20 PM »
Raithe's head still hurt after being attacked by the Drow, but locating the map was a prime find. He let Westra and the others look at the map. He studied the rest of the group and tried to get a sense of what they'd want to do from here. Westra called the shots. Wolfe, though he'd grumble, would follow her lead unless the innocent or defenseless were in harm's way. Yvaine was a mystery, but seemed to fall on the side of good.

And Professor Doc, the scientist with the great legs, held a power that he didn't understand.

These were his allies.

Everyone seemed ready to rest and figure out the next move. Raithe pulled up a chair and sat down, kicking his feet up on the nearest table.

"All right, friends. What's our move?" Raithe asked, looking at each person in turn, meeting their eyes.

Wolfe

• Death. Honor. Hangovers.
Re: The King is Dead, Long Live the Watch (Post-Session 15)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 01:16:50 PM »
Wolfe's head hurt. The Blademaster had gotten knocked resoundingly into the ground by the King of the Goblins. He'd rewoken to this world from Yvaine's magics with blood in his mouth and a ringing headache. He had offered quiet thanks to the Cleric but he was in a bad mood for getting bested by a fucking ugly, hair bugbear. So rather than fully be involved in the conversation he'd pulled up a corner, pulled out a flask, opened it up and started to drink.

The burn of the alcohol helped purge the coppery taste of blood on his tongue that lingerd in his mouth. It helped to melt away the rage that lingered in him after he was brought back into the waking world.

Raithe had tossed him a bag of coins and Wolfe took his time counting them with one hand. The process made his mood improve.. that or the booze starting its work. One. Two. Three. Clank, Clank, Clank, each coin hitting another lowering his heart rate from the aggressive see-red place it had been.

"Drow's already gone. Probably heading to what he was looking for. If they had the map under the bed, he knows where to go too. Whatever's in this.. Echo Wave Cavern must be good."

Westra Goldbrook

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 11:43:52 AM »
Westra studies the map long enough to commit what she can to memory, and then tucks it away for later. She goes around the room once, closing and locking all the doors she finds to afford the group a moment of relative peace in which they might catch their breath. Surely there were more of the goblin-spawn elsewhere in the Keep, but it was yet to be determined whether the self-titled Watch could spare the time to dispatch them all.

Once the room was secure, Westra returned to the dwarf.

"I know that you have been through an ordeal," she says, in a tone that's gentle for her even if it's likely only average for most. "But anything you can recall about the people who abducted you, their allies, and their goals would be helpful for us to know. Is the magical well purported to be at Wave Echo Cavern the goal of this Black Spider? Do you know who the Drow was that was here, or what his role in this mess is?"

Doctor Catriona Wicker

• "Tarnation!!"
  • For Lantan.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 05:59:34 PM »
This place was far beyond ideal.  Just outside the door was a veritable sea of goblinoid corpses, a mess hall still burning, and now they were in the ‘king’s chambers’. Even just in the corner there was an enormous gray carcass of a dire wolf, an ever-widening pool of dark blood beneath it.  In all her dreams, she had never considered a simple expedition to study the Spellplague would have her in this situation. 

Raithe kicking his feet up like he owned the place drew a glance from her as she pondered how he could keep so cool after his own ordeal.  Wolfe had nearly been killed  but was now...well, doing what was expected. Westra and Yvaine had probably unwavering faith in their god, if not military experience.  Her own service was not as extensive as anyone’s here and Lantan’s foes were nowhere near as diverse as what she had encountered in the last couple of days.

Still, she was trained at least enough not to lose her shit in the midst of massive amounts of violence and death.  Doctor Wicker had secured King Grol with manacles and pushed the large bugbear to be seated against the wall (she could be decently stronger than her frame would allow when able to concentrate on the task).

Wolfe’s mention of the drow makes her wish she actually was able to lay eyes on the dark elf, as she had never seen one before.  “I have never encountered such diverse races working in concert.  Goblins, hobgoblins, bugbear, now drow elves?” she remarked as she looked upon the table. “All for some strange cave?”

She shuffled about the documents that seemed unimportant, looking perhaps for a {Layout of Cragmaw Castle}, {Cragmaw Castle Inventory} or even {Cragmaw Patrol Schedules}, as this place may have more than they’ve seen.   “Should be worry about reinforcements?”

Levinath

• If it works, I can break it.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 01:54:08 PM »

The Dwarf found his footing shortly after the bugbear was dispatched. He held an unsteady hand against the wall as energy began to move back through his bones from the healing he received. He offered a spit in the direction of the fallen King. “Sorry Lass, I don’t recall much. I was quickly knocked unconscious whenever I managed to rouse. Let me see.”

He rubbed his head for a few moments. “We were nearing Phandalin when goblins came out of nowhere, there were at least ten of em, the poor green lads with Sildhar and I were cut down in moments.” He frowned. “Twas their first outing, and was supposed to be a safe one.” After a pause he continued. “The goblins drug me to some cave with a different bugbear, I don’t recall his name. I was quickly knocked unconscious. The next day, I woke up here, and have been held in this room ever since, chained up to that wall.” He points to the north wall where a single maniacal was chained into the stonework, likely for a different type of prisoner in days past.

“Might I have a drink of that Laddie?” The dwarf says looking to Wolfe who is drinking from a flash. “Fer me nerves?” Whether Wolfe provided him a drink or not, he continued to answer Westra’s question after a brief pause. “The legend of the Lost Mine of Phandelver is as follows."

“More than five hundred years ago, clans of dwarves and gnomes made an agreement known as the Phandelver's Pact, by which they would share a rich mine in a wondrous cavern known as Wave Echo Cave. In addition to its mineral wealth, the mine contained great magical power. Human spellcasters allied themselves with the dwarves and gnomes to channel and bind that energy into a great forge called the Forge of Spells, where magic items could be crafted. Times were good, and the nearby human town of Phandelver prospered as well.” Dramatic Pause. “ But then disaster struck when orcs swept through the North and laid waste to all in their path. A powerful force of orcs reinforced by evil mercenary wizards attacked Wave Echo Cave to seize its riches and magic treasures. Human wizards fought alongside their dwarf and gnome allies to defend the Forge of Spells, and the ensuing spell battle destroyed much of the cavern. Few survived the cave-ins and tremors, and the location of Wave Echo Cave was lost.”

“My Brothers and I recently discovered what appears to be the lost mine, but it is overrun with undead, and so we have been unable to venture far into the depths. I left them to venture to Neverwinter to request aid from your Captain." He looked most pointedly at Westra as he continued. "Of course Lord Neverember was intrigued after I told him the same Legend, and thus he sent Sildhar and the two men to investigate with us." He seemed to be done, but caught himself and added. "I must admit I know little of the Spider character, only that he somehow learned of our discovery and ordered our capture. He must be formidable, however, to have developed such organization between goblins and bugbears.”

As the Doctor reads over papers as the Dwarf talks, she is unable to find much of import. The document reporting that things are going as planned and the Spider's emissary would be arriving soon seems to be the only paper of any real substance. Most of the rest look like a toddler with a crayon spent several days entertaining himself.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:55:49 PM by Levinath »

Raithe

• Money. Survival. Honor...is a cute notion.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 11:46:24 PM »
Raithe listened to the Dwarf relate the tale of Wave Echo Cave and the forge of spells. It matched what he'd heard of it, long ago, but until now there was no proof that it truly existed. This was an amazing find, one that would draw people from all around who wanted to seek the mine's power and ability to Craft magical items.

"If what he's saying is true, this mine will be one of the most important places in Faerun. After everything the Spellplague's done, after everything it's taken...can any of you think of any reason people wouldn't want to control it?" Raithe asked.

He leaned back in his chair, his expression pensive.

"If the Black Spider knows where this place is, he's going to protect it. We just fought a mass of undead, right? Neverember also knows where this place is, based on our new friend's tale. The only thing that's maybe stopped him from sending a battalion of his best people to find it is not knowing where it is." Raithe said.

"Look, we can go back and tell him what happened. But maybe we should, I don't know...think about not telling him? We could determine who finds the cave, or if anyone ever does.

Imagine what kind of weapons or horrors someone with a will to wage war could make with a forge of magic.
" Raithe said, looking around at the others. Raithe wasn't sure that he could sway them, but he had to try.

Nothing good ever comes of magic. I know that better'n anyone.

Doctor Catriona Wicker

• "Tarnation!!"
  • For Lantan.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 05:53:57 PM »
Finding nothing of note that isn’t random goblinoid nonsense and feeling somewhat outside of the realm of proper usefulness, Doctor Wicker  settled some to listen to the dwarf’s tale of Wave Echo and more interestingly, this Forge of Spells.  Generally, as a rule, she did not care much for spellcasting (all the silly words and unusual hand gestures, like..why)  The Lantanese were notorious in how they tended to look down upon traditional spellcasting and wizardry.

Still, an ancient cavern with supernatural properties? Even the name “Forge of Spells" spoke to some kind of large ancient apparatus which was likely incredibly intriguing.  Who knows what manner of discoveries can be made from studying it?

The doctor’s arms crossed below her bosom and puffed her cheeks with a bit of an exasperated breath.  “Uh... Neverember person has nothing to do with me. If this Wave Echo Cave is a source of paranormal activity, I would like to ..uh... see if this Forge of Spells is somehow still active, if not affected by the Spellplague.  It might explain the uh.. Undead.” 

Even with Raithe’s rationalization, she still looked to have an interest that was purely academic.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:56:14 PM by Doctor Catriona Wicker »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal