collapse

* Who's Online

4 Guests, 0 Users
Users active in past minutes:

Most Online Today: 18. Most Online Ever: 198 (November 05, 2019, 12:34:26 AM)

* Recent Posts

SW Ep6 Roll20 Logs
►Last Post by phinneas
January 12, 2021, 09:59:18 PM

Animal Talk
►Last Post by Doctor Catriona Wicker
April 29, 2019, 10:39:18 PM

Roll20 Session Logs
►Last Post by phinneas
April 08, 2019, 09:37:05 AM

Getting the band back together
March 06, 2019, 01:14:45 AM

Alone in the Dark
February 20, 2019, 01:56:30 PM

Absences & Scheduling Issues
►Last Post by Euron Sand
November 16, 2018, 03:24:25 PM

The Forgotten
►Last Post by Levinath
November 01, 2018, 12:13:41 AM

Kara-Tur Adventures
October 17, 2018, 03:44:23 PM

Jinharath
►Last Post by Jinharath
October 11, 2018, 11:49:17 AM

Trolling
►Last Post by Jonias Siannodel
October 05, 2018, 11:16:22 PM

Reunions | Post Session 32

• 10 Replies
Description:

Wolfe

• Death. Honor. Hangovers.
Reunions | Post Session 32
« on: May 01, 2018, 02:30:42 PM »
Wolfe finished speaking to Rageclaw with a great deal on his mind. Finding Antony first was not ideal to the former Samurai. Truth be told, he wasn't certain that the others would be willing to help him now that the human family member had been found. Westra, to Wolfe, was not as honorable or as steadfast as others might have viewed her, as he felt her loyalty to a tyrant to be a key reason not to trust her.

There was still so much they didn't know and that bothered him. He had felt following after Sera wasn't just something for his own personal quest (in truth, he wasn't looking forward to a reunion with his daughter), but because he was sure that Sera knew the most about what was going on out of the people they could talk to. All other leads had proven to be insane or unproven, and anyone else they talked to obfuscated the matter or provided little insight.

Complete the trials, become part of the Tribe, or slay the Dragon. Those two options were what Rageclaw had given him to find what the werewolf sage knew of Sera and where she'd gone. No closer to the Necromancer Mad Scientist, than before. Just another set of obstacles in the way.

Wolfe was frustrated. The path ahead was not easy, and he was uncertain if he'd have to walk it alone.

He was still sore from his fight with Victor, but nonetheless he'd lay down and sleep soon enough. For now he had to figure out the first part of his own decision making process. He approached Westra, Cat, Euron, and her brother.

"Rageclaw says he knows where Sera is, but he won't tell me unless we do the trials to become part of the Tribe, or we kill the Dragon that's eating his people."

The Half Orc grunted, not seeming enthused about that. "It looked like from the statues in the temple it was to a Silver Dragon, which tend to be good guys. We may not have to kill the Dragon; it's possible we could just go and talk to it, let it know what we're about and it might be able to help us figure out what's going on."

Westra Goldbrook

Re: Reunions | Post Session 32
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 04:44:10 PM »
Westra marched a brisk pace out of the arena, eager to leave the foul beasts and their pointless trials behind. She consoled herself with the knowledge that Antony had been found, and he was unharmed. Westra was less unscathed, herself, but knew that Helm's cleric could help her overcome the filth that had infected her blood during the fight. She waited for Euron once clear of the wolves' den.

"I am sorry to ask this of you again, Father Sand," she said, the anger and frustration which filled her being suppressed for the moment to allow her to speak more softly. "But one of the beasts bit through my armor. I fear without the Watcher's blessing, I will contract their fate as well." If Euron consented to cast his healing spell for her, Westra would then quickly shed her breastplate and pauldron so that she could show the wound on her arm to the cleric.

She ignored Wolfe, for the moment.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 11:04:39 PM »
Euron didn't like this. They were already short one man with Zimran's defection. The rest of the Watch seemed like they could be at each other's throats at anytime. He whispered a prayer to Helm, seeking guidance for these people in his charge. Wolfe spoke with the man known as Rageclaw before returning to join the group once more. He hadn't known Zimran long, but Euron could just imagine the Half-Elf's less-than-kind commentary for the Half-Orc based on what they'd already endured.

"These trials sound like a bad idea, Wolfe. For all we know, they'll set the trial as going to kill the dragon. And if this dragon isn't evil, I won't support murder. I would like to hear what everyone else thinks about this. I don't trust these people, but I recognize that they don't trust me, either." Euron said.

When Westra asked for his aid, he shook his head. "Don't apologize, Captain. I'm here to help." Euron said.

When Westra shed her breastplate, Euron examined the wound. It was nasty-looking, but it wouldn't remain that way. Euron touched the Watcher's Eye around his neck, focusing the healing energy of Helm through his hands to mend her flesh. Once done, Euron released a weary sigh. Fatigue was setting in, but there was no time for it. He wanted to know what Westra and Cat thought about this plan.

Doctor Catriona Wicker

• "Tarnation!!"
  • For Lantan.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 03:40:00 AM »
The half moon elf scientist had left Wolfe and Rageclaw to their discussion once it seemed to veer more and more into the realm of something personal. 

She had scuttled up to catch up with the pietistic lot, somewhat rambling about serendipity of the odds of running into both matters concerning Westra’s brother and Wolfe’s daughter.  There was also a bit about considering destiny but the silence from them had her realize that she was probably talking too much again.

Trailing along the periphery, she quieted down and just examined the surroundings and environment. If these lycanthropes could build a dungeon and an arena and a meeting hall, there may be other amenities and such about that might be useful.  Maybe they had weapons or armor from fallen enemies that might prove useful.

Wolfe’s re-appearance had her look in his direction while adjusting her glasses.

“Uh… that sounds like extortion.”  Beat. “Wait, was what we just participated in not considered a strength trial?”

The way Wolfe so casually spoke of ‘killing’ a dragon, of all things, caused her some discomfort. Euron’s words, as usual came from a more tempered space.  Then again, he didn’t fully grasp the brand of honor that this clan abided by.  She found the clan trying to outsource dragocide as being somewhat hypocritical, however.

“Mister Wolfe, while I would like everyone to get their family back, I’m a scientist, not a hired killer.  These lycanthropes have been unpleasant hosts from start to finish. They have opted to not help us at every single turn.”  She traces her fingers by her temple, tucking some platinum blonde hair behind a slightly pointed ear. 

“If you just want to speak with it, I am uncertain what kind of diplomacy can take place… but I can subscribe to that.  Of course, it may have been driven mad by the Spellplague, which would explain any aberrant behavior…”
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 10:52:34 AM by Doctor Catriona Wicker »

Westra Goldbrook

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 06:07:14 PM »
Westra nodded and thanked the cleric quietly, then began pulling her pieces of armor back into place.

"It is not aberrant behavior," she said, ostensibly to the Doctor, though she was still busied putting her armor back on. "Silver dragons are inherently good-natured. If it is preying on werewolves it is only helping to keep the population of local monsters in check." She pulled on the last of her gauntlets and looked to the doctor, then to Wolfe, briefly, and back to Catriona.

"Something we are presently ill-equipped to do." She picked up her weapons and moved back towards where Catriona and Wolfe stood, and turned her attention more fully to the swordsman. "These beasts have shown us clearly what a danger they are to any innocent who travels these woods. If there is a dragon here who is helping to contain them, then I have no quarrel with it. Neither should they, with how little they seem to care for their numbers."

Wolfe

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 08:34:51 PM »
"Not that I'm advocating the defense of Werewolves as a general rule -- but if they were any native people, it's their land and theirs to dictate what happens there. They didn't treat us unfairly. We fought for our rights and they let us go. They treated us in good faith." But Wolfe could already hear the argument coming, so he raised his hand up to forestall it. "But I'm not saying we go kill a good-aligned Dragon. I think talking to it is a good idea. If it's sane, then we can talk to it and get some answers. If it's crazy cause of the Spellplague, we put it down because it's going to be a danger to other people besides the Werewolves anyway."

The Half-Orc shrugged slowly, lowering his hand. "Then we turn in proof of its death to Rageclaw and he tells us where Sera is. We find her, get some answers, and maybe start to finally put an end to this all."

He took a deep breath and looked to each of the Watch in turn. "Look, I know it's asking a lot out of all of you on faith, but I wouldn't suggest we go after Sera unless I felt she'd give us a better idea of what's going on. Victor and Rageclaw confirmed that she had been among them -- my nose did too. She knows about this Mad Scientist, and until we get some more information on who, what, or where they are, we can't do anything to cut this off before it's made worse."

Doctor Catriona Wicker

• "Tarnation!!"
  • For Lantan.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 11:53:51 PM »
With a tightening of her lips and a crossing of her arms, finding some stress in the current matter, Catriona considered the paladin’s explanation.  The eco-system/natural order argument certainly had much in the way of merit and she did not expect it to come from someone who presumably found most of their answers in religious texts.  “I.. maybe.  I just ..umm.. The Spellplague has infected dragons before.  Reports say the most intelligent, magic using creatures are very susceptible…”

She, too, had no quarrel with any dragons and didn’t think it would be wise to have one if one could help it. 

The pale haired scientist looks to Wolfe with a touch of confusion on her youthful features.  “What do you mean ‘put it down’?  It isn’t a rabid animal.  Some dragons are sapient intelligent beings.”  Beat.  “I think the real question is why isnt the dragon presenting opposition to the Mad Scientist and the rogue experiments?”

Scrunching her nose some, she paced in a small area in the grass as words and justifications filled the air.  Wasn’t it too early for some new argument to stymie their progress? “Both of you have familial interests in current matters… perhaps let the matter lie for now.  After a night’s rest, a course of action um….. Might materialize”  The way it was nearing past nine in time, with the flood of cricket sounds and other nightly ambience made her wonder of logistics.

“On the charitable nature of the lycanthropes as hosts, we disagree… but would they provide us with lodging for the night?  That is… an honorable thing, is it not?  Or so I’ve read.”  Doctor Wicker looks back at the compound or whatever it was, with appraisal, considering its security and what would need to be done with the horses if they accepted.

Westra Goldbrook

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 12:09:08 AM »
Westra listened as Wolfe and then the Doctor spoke, holding her tongue throughout. She offered no objections outright until the Doctor asked about lodging with the werewolves overnight.

"No," she said, shaking her head resolutely. "You may stay if you wish, but I will hike back to the carriage and sleep there for the night. I will have nothing further to do with these creatures if I can avoid it." Her temper tried to flare again with that thought, but she expended effort to tamp it down, mouth set into a firm line, jaw tightened grimly.

"Ask me to help defend the innocents who will suffer from this mad scientist's machinations, and I will lend my swordarm, gladly," she said. She looked from Cat to Wolfe. "Ask me to help you find your daughter, I will lend my strength and energy to help you." She shook her head again then. "But do not ask me to do anything for the sake of benefiting these murderous creatures. I want nothing of them, and they will have nothing more of me but my blade."

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 01:15:10 AM »
Euron listened while each member of the Watch spoke their piece. He empathized with Dr. Wicker's position. She'd acclimated well enough to the life of an adventurer, it seemed, but it still fit her ill at times. Euron remembered his own first days traveling the world and trusting in Helm to see him through to safety. He wished he could say something comforting to her, but she did not need it.

He also understood Westra's position. Protecting the innocent was her foremost goal. The werewolves had not proven themselves worthy of anything more than her contempt. Euron was fighting his own natural instinct to write them off as unworthy of consideration or help from the Watch based on how they'd been treated thus far. Doing so, however, spoke worse of him than them. Euron was bothered by that thought, but he was further bothered by the idea of Westra going back to the carriage.

Wolfe wanted find Sera and get some answers to track down and defeat this Mad Scientist. But Euron knew and understood that he wanted to find his daughter as well. It was only natural.

"We should locate this dragon and determine its mental state. Sera and the Mad Scientist have answers that we need. If this dragon can give us this information without violence, we should explore that possibility." he said.

"Let's end this with as little bloodshed as possible."

Wolfe

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 01:11:53 PM »
"If a Silver Dragon tries to murder all of us for trying to talk to it, then yeah, we'll probably have to put it down." Wolfe said with the sharp line of acceptable activity in regards to violence against a dragon. Which, honestly, he couldn't believe they were talking about.

"And for all we know, it is. It's not like Rageclaw would tell us if it had.

My perception of the situation is clear, Cat. If I didn't think Sera was a key to figure this out I wouldn't push to go after her. There's a reason I didn't bring her up when we came out here. I didn't know if it was a dead end, or a side-trip, or if it was all connected. If it was, I wasn't going to push. I'd go after her myself after we saved Westra's brother and stopped the Werewolves."

He paused, nodding at Westra's offer to help him find his daughter. "And I appreciate all of you willing to stick with me on this.

But I agree with Westra -- Gods help me that I said that aloud -- but I wouldn't wanna spend much more time up here. We're outsiders, and we've killed some of their people and humiliated their leader."
He lifted a hand up to forestall argument. "And justifiably, I'd say.

Let's go find the Rex and make sure it wasn't turned into Zimran's personal Wild-North brothel or something, and get some rest."

Doctor Catriona Wicker

• "Tarnation!!"
  • For Lantan.
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 06:54:11 PM »
“If you insist on speaking with the dragon, it might make sense to..umm..advise it on the matter of the Mad Scientist and his rogue aberrations, given that it can spread.” That was of course if it could be reasoned with.  It otherwise felt as if they were prone to starting to deal with another problem before a prior one was solved. 

Wolfe saying his perception was ironic;  who wouldn’t say the same thing in his state?  That was the very nature of having a compromised point of view.  The Captain’s staunch position on parting with the wolves was something Catriona agreed with but at the same time, she had been considering security, given how they were attacked before. 

Euron’s desire to have as little bloodshed as possible was actually humorous; he was with the wrong group if that is what he was looking for!

“I suppose I just don’t understand how you can defeat their leader, spare his life, and they can refuse you simple information to your own kin.  That does not strike me as something that could be considered honorable.  It reminds me of criminals weaponizing information to extort others for their own gain.” she shakes her head and turns to begin the hour+ walk back to the Rex in the dark foresty night.

Logic wasn’t a big part of the exercise, as usual;  ah the mainlander way of life.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal