collapse

* Who's Online

5 Guests, 0 Users
Users active in past minutes:

Most Online Today: 18. Most Online Ever: 198 (November 05, 2019, 12:34:26 AM)

* Recent Posts

SW Ep6 Roll20 Logs
►Last Post by phinneas
January 12, 2021, 09:59:18 PM

Animal Talk
►Last Post by Doctor Catriona Wicker
April 29, 2019, 10:39:18 PM

Roll20 Session Logs
►Last Post by phinneas
April 08, 2019, 09:37:05 AM

Getting the band back together
March 06, 2019, 01:14:45 AM

Alone in the Dark
February 20, 2019, 01:56:30 PM

Absences & Scheduling Issues
►Last Post by Euron Sand
November 16, 2018, 03:24:25 PM

The Forgotten
►Last Post by Levinath
November 01, 2018, 12:13:41 AM

Kara-Tur Adventures
October 17, 2018, 03:44:23 PM

Jinharath
►Last Post by Jinharath
October 11, 2018, 11:49:17 AM

Trolling
►Last Post by Jonias Siannodel
October 05, 2018, 11:16:22 PM

Hair of the dog (Post Session 28)

• 6 Replies
Description:

Westra Goldbrook

Hair of the dog (Post Session 28)
« on: March 02, 2018, 11:57:01 AM »
The last of the beasts fell, and Westra stood there, panting softly and surveying the carnage. To her tremendous relief, the fallen creatures did not magically morph into more familiar forms; once she noticed the remnants of the Flaming Fist uniforms on one of them, she'd been afraid that they'd been unwittingly fighting their comrades. She still held that fear, but at least for the moment she wasn't confronted with the face of one of her brother's soldiers laying in a pool of blood that she had drawn.

That would've made it harder, somehow.

She looked down to the last two, the ones that had been incapacitated yet not killed, and crouched to inspect them. In particular, she couldn't help but look for some identifying patch or sigil to tell her whether this beast had been someone she'd known at one point. Antony was never far from her mind, and she dreaded looking for fear she might find his ring on one of the beast's fingers.

"If lycanthropy is spread by a bite, then it is a disease, is it not?" she asked, aloud. She looked over her shoulder towards the doctor, and then the cleric as well. "Can it be healed? If these were once men, can they be saved?" She did not ask if she herself could be saved, but the stinging burn of the deep bite on her upper left arm prevented that question from being far from her thoughts.

Doctor Catriona Wicker

• "Tarnation!!"
  • For Lantan.
Re: Hair of the dog (Post Session 28)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 08:05:01 PM »

The sudden and abrupt end to the chaotic baying of wolfmen and the clashing of steel against claw was as unsettling as when the madness first began.  The central campfire crackled in the night, the blaze ignorant to the battle that occured around it, embers floating into the night sky.  A platinum blonde head poked out from behind the Rex, where she had taken cover.  A sigh of relief escaped her lips as the aggressive foes had been neutralized - for now.

Stepping out into the open, she scanned the carnage and disarray.  Seeing Zimran still hiding inside the carriage was certainly… something.  Then again, the man was just shouting things are bestial werewolves and actually distracting the frenzied monsters.  Bards are freaking strange, man.

The new priest seemed to continue to stand vigilant, unfazed by the berserking force that ambushed them.  No, this Euron Sand person was quite capable from how potently he handled his divine magics.  That was saying something for one such as Catriona, who generally did not think much of such things.  It's not science!  Mister Sand, umm...you do excellent... work. Thank you for coming along. Oh, is there a title... something?” she says, attempting to breech her reflexive timidity.

Her lips formed a grim line as she noticed the wounds and blood upon Westra and Wolfe;  it was difficult to discern how much of it was theirs.  “I can try to test it, but I don’t have prior exposure to the ailment.  Given that it correlates to the lunar cycle, I would guess it is a curse.  There are rumors that some are, however, born with it.”

“Maybe Mister Ibanez has heard something through the Harpers?  Between us three, we should be able to come to some conclusions...”  she seemed eager to help, despite looking tired and missing her glasses.   The assumption was that if the priest, the scientist and the lore bard put their heads together, they could figure it out.  Help actions!

“It would probably be wise to re-secure the area and bind the...um.. survivors.  I don’t know if my manacles will hold them.  We also have rope.”  The doctor retrieves both from the back of the wagon and sets it down in the middle of camp. 

She looks towards the horses, one injured ; all three likely spooked  “Umm.. Mister Wolfe.. could you  ..help calm them or something? It would not be ideal if they ran off with… everything.” Terrible with animals (and people!), she figured the half-orc was likely best suited to that matter…

The doctor also uses the magic Frog trinket to have it go get some magic goodberries to help with whatever healing.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 08:40:59 PM by Doctor Catriona Wicker »

Wolfe

• Death. Honor. Hangovers.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 06:10:20 PM »
Wolfe had engaged in battle with some grim resolve. He struck down two of the Werewolves but on the last one by Westra he followed suit in just knocking it out. As he cleaned his weapon he looked over himself and found that while he'd had some close calls the Lycanthropes hadn't bitten deep into him. His fingers touched the wolf head's pendant at his neck once more, finding some resolve in it and then turned his eyes to the horse as Cat brought them into question. "Yeah, I'll settle them down. You lot should look over Westra and make sure she's okay. I saw one of them bite her." Cat had said what he was going to regarding lycanthropy's curse versus disease status.

Rather than get into that the Half-Orc moved to the steeds and through some soothing words and gentle touches, not to mention a couple apples he had brought along, calmed the beasts into normalcy.

He returned to the others, giving a nod toward Euron who had done good work with his holy magic. The quiet cleric seemed alright so far, but Wolfe rarely had use for holy types.

"They should all change back come dawn. It's not quite a full moon, so whoever these all are, they're not forced to transform. They've given into the curse. I wouldn't put too much hope in getting any of them to spill any useful details."

Wolfe pondered the unconscious werewolves for a moment, his face set in a grim expression. "If they weren't bit.. if they were born this way.. no magic can free them of it. They're that way forever."

The blademaster then knelt down besides the Werewolves, taking the manacles that Cat had on her person (for some weird reason, maybe it was a fetish) and he bound both lycanthropes. He then gathered the rope and tied them up as well. Can't be too careful.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 09:59:34 PM »
Euron wished there was another way to deal with the werewolves, but Helm demanded that he act in the defense of life and the Watch. The werewolves attacked them without mercy and Euron worried that Captain Goldbrook's brother was already lost to the curse...or worse. But Westra and Wolfe worked effectively to contain the threat, leaving Euron to keep them standing. After blessing them with Helm's favor, he'd fallen into monitoring their well-being and making sure that they weren't being attacked from other angles.

When the battle ended, Euron had only taken a minor scratch that would heal on its own. His next act was check over his compatriots and make certain that no one had been damaged. He spoke to Westra first as she'd asked about the nature of lycanthropy.

"From all that I've heard, it's a curse. If that's the case, I will do everything in my power to remove it. I'd like to start with you, Captain." Euron said.

"Once I've aided Captain Goldbrook, if you are in need of my aid, please don't hesistate to approach." Euron said, making sure that everyone heard him. The others could see to tying up their captives; Euron sensed that he'd be fatigued by the time he was done and wanted to start working right away.

Doctor Wicker's praise coaxed a smile from him as she asked what title she should use. "Please, Doctor, call me Euron. It's easier out here. And when you have a moment, I'd like to ask about some of your...tools? I've never seen anything like that owl. I'd like to know more." Euron said.

"For now, I need to tend to Captain Goldbrook. If you'll excuse me?" Euron said, heading toward Westra.

"Captain, may I take a look at your wound? I'll get you set right here immediately." he said.

If she did so, Euron would take the Watcher's Eye from round his neck and hold it aloft by its chain as he opened himself to Helm's immeasurable, unknowable power. He whispered a prayer to their shared god as he touched Westra shoulder and pushed back against the curse that tried to bind itself to her soul.

Euron would cast Remove Curse to spare the captain the horrors of a life enslaved to the moon.

Westra Goldbrook

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 11:23:07 AM »
The doctor pronounced the matter a curse, and Wolfe backed up her thoughts. The half-orc's comment about the present men being given over to the curse was strangely haunting, though the way the Paladin's mien paled a little was likely hard to detect in the low flicker of the firelight. Her gaze swept over the fallen beasts, and she found herself both impatient for and dreading the coming dawn. A frown pressed itself slowly into her brow. What would she do if one of the men was Antony? Worse, what would she do if one of the ones already slain was?

Euron approached and pulled her from that disturbing spiral of thoughts, and she nodded her permission when he asked to tend to her.

"Thank you," she told him quietly, still frowning some. "That would have gone worse, had it not been for your help in the middle of things," she told him, recalling the healing magic she'd felt at her back more than once during the skirmish. "While I will do everything in my power to not take as many hits, it's comforting to know that there is relief among us. I am grateful that you are here, Father Sand."

Euron prayed and Westra did as well, and when he was done she thanked him again and released a sigh of tension she hadn't realized she'd been holding in.

"What is the hour?"
she asked, looking to the others, then towards the sky to try and judge. "Is it worth trying to salvage more sleep before the dawn?"

Zimran Ibanez

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 08:33:33 PM »
Zimran peeked through the window of the carriage door making sure the coast was clear before moving around. The half-elf pulled on his trousers as he hollered out the window, "Everyone alright?"

Seeing the priest tend to Westra's wounds the bard opted to stay in the carriage. The seated upright now, Zimran sat back and relaxed ready to fall asleep once again should the party decide to rest longer.

Doctor Catriona Wicker

• "Tarnation!!"
  • For Lantan.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 11:00:11 AM »
The doctor rubbed her eye with the back of her hand a bit while interspersed conversations began to take place.  With Wolfe’s managing of the horses, Catriona would offer a somber “Thank you… “  Even though she was allergic to most animals (or at least it certainly felt that way), she wasn’t keen on seeing creatures suffer.   

Wait, could horses become were-ponies?

The thought crossed her mind before she dismissed it as highly improbable.  One hopes, anyway.

Both Wolfe and Euron had more confident opinions on the matter of it being a curse and she would give way to those more versed in the matter.  Had she seen evidence of another possible conclusion, she would have brought it up.  The priest already handled a curse during his first impression with her so, he should know better than anyone.  Still… some experimentation could prove helpful… but she could read that this wasn’t the time for that.

She nods at Euron, accepting his request of understanding her obscure Lantanese sciences.  He certainly asked nicely enough.  With the tumultuous bickering she had been surrounded with the last few weeks, it was a bit striking to be confronted with someone just being generally polite. Heh.

“I believe so… We just have a matter of  the unconscious attackers.” she responds to Zimran, chewing slightly on her bottom lip as she considered how relentless these foes might become when they rouse.  “We should have brought more silver, though.”

Westra looked to be recovering through the works of her fellow Helmite,  though she could see on the woman’s face that the matter was far more graver to her than anyone else.  It was difficult to remember that this was far more personal for her.

“Dawn is in a couple of hours, by my approximation.  That is why I am concerned about these prisoners… that is a substantial amount of time that something might go ..um… awry.”
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:09:19 AM by Doctor Catriona Wicker »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal